I made up the looms for the Tiffie, installed all the servos (8), made the myriad of links and closed loop runs, then programmed the lot into the FRSky Horus. All told, she's 31 lb AUW which includes about 8lb of lead behind the spinner! Well, it is a short nose and she used to have a 90cc engine up there, and still needed about 3lb of lead with that, so I've saved around 8lb from the old AUW, which isn't too bad as a percentage.
Wing loading comes out in the region of 39 oz sq ft, and a WCL of 11 - quite respectable compared to the A10.
I'm just painting the servo covers, and printing a mount for the redundancy bus, then she'll be RTF.
The C17 has been plodding away gently in the background, with me glassing the myriad of parts as and when I've been building up a pile of bits that require it. The entirety of the fuselage has now been glassed, and here I am finalising the tension system that keeps the two parts of fuselage together:
She's a big girl to keep in the workshop in once piece, so I migrated to the landing to add the first of the solid balsa end pieces of the undercarriage pods. Bramble looks on, quite unimpressed:
I should be able to flip that over tonight and the other side. Once they are carved to shape, they will need a layer of glass, and the joint between the two halves can then be finalised and gap-filled. That will clear the fuselage for primer then!
The little Seahawk has been coming along well, the filler primer just about dry now:
Just the cockpit to finish up, top access hatch, then into final paint. Nearly there!
This project has been tickling away for a while - an own design Douglas Skyraider. It was originally intended to be next year's mass build model, but it looks like I'm too far behind so it might end up as 2022's model! Crikey that seems far off currently. Anyway, here are some pictures from CAD:
Apologies as they're photos of my screen, and not screenshots. I hope to cut some parts for the Skyraider later in the year, will see how she goes.
As mentioned previously, I've been doing some work for a friend, designing and making ejection seats for a Tornado (Martin Baker mk10a), as well as buying a 3d model of a jet pilot that I can scale and print for various aircraft in the future.
Pilot on seat:
Left arm just placed on for testing:
This should be approx 10th scale:
Straight off the printer:
A seat on it's own. This one is slightly smaller than what was actually required - nearer 11th scale:
The annual PSSA informal NYE & NYD meet was another good one this year, although I only attended the NYE. We were blessed with 32mph SW winds into the favoured bowl on the Great Orme, which provided ample lift for everything.
At last, a flying shot of JV-Z! She really does handle so nicely :
The A10 got away OK, but flew unconvincingly for the first 5 minutes as all the trims were far out :
A good turn-out of PSSA pilots and plenty of variation in what we were flying :
Before I went up, I replaced the old rattly hitch on the trailer with a new shiny one:
No more clunks and bangs from that, excellent.
I've been designing and printing more parts recently - this is a Mk10A ejection seat from a Tornado :
I've now glassed the Seahawk canopy plug, and should be close to finishing that this week. I've also spent some time insulating the shed, so it will be OK to spray in there at this time of year - the Tiffie being the first victim.
The Seahawk now has a completely glassed airframe, and is now being rubbed down, and more progress has been made on the Liberator. I'm quite liking glassing in the evenings now, certainly beats a film finish.
Quite happy with the finish I'm getting here, before rubbing back :
All done, and the start of the cockpit plug :
B24 tailplane and elevators all glassed, so a test fit-up was called for. All good :
The B24 fuselage gets its first bit of glass on the bottom :
I've also glassed all the main surfaces on the C17 tailplane now, just the stubby bits to finish up and that'll be ready for knocking back too. With any luck, the Seahawk will get some primer this weekend, especially as it's a long weekend for me.
The fin has now been clad, the elevator linkage soldered up an in place, and the exhaust fairings completed. Quite close now for some more glass - as usual for me the whole bottom in one piece, then the fin, then the top.
I've still to cut the ailerons from stock, as well as the elevators and rudder, but they don't take long at all, and will take longer to glass than shape.
AUW currently 1lb 9ozs, and I think the target will be another pound and a bit on top of that. If she ends up at 3lb, that'll be 19oz sq ft, which isn't too bad at all really.
Apologies for the lack of posting, but I've been busy and not getting around to taking photos during builds, when I have actually been able to get to building.
I've been getting some more glassing done, here Seahawk and Liberator parts:
Out of shot are some Ilyushin parts (tailplane and fin) that were also glassed. It's all coming along, slowly.
And here the underside of the Seahawk wings. Just a bit of balsa behind the roots for the jet exhaust to add, then the whole fuselage can be glassed too:
A new addition to the fleet is this Byron F20, which has never been flown and used as a static model only. She will get some new home-made wings, and a respray ready for the slope:
One of these F5 schemes I think:
The Typhoon has progressed a little, and then gone back a few stages as some of the work around the cannon wasn't to my liking, so I've re done the cannon mounts. All of the priming is complete now though, so it's just waiting for some garage time to get the spraying started.
Whilst battling with the 3D printer on parts for other airframes, I've managed to get the cockpit fitted out, pilot in, and now the cockpit is on. A major milestone for this aircraft, as that's the last bit of gluing done to the fuselage. Paint is hopefully just round the corner..