Thursday, 24 November 2016

C17 Globemaster III build - flap canoes and winglets

Things are moving along smartly now.  

First off, I laminated 16 flap canoe plates with pink foam :


Then they were carved to shape, and laid out on the wings for a test fit :



That all looked OK, so I bonded them on, then ran some lightweight filler around the bases :


Whilst that was drying, I flipped the wing over, added the 3mm liteply face plate, and the foam trailing edge root part :


I've added a slot through canoe number 2 now, into the servo bay.  This was achieved with beaten up old bit of brass tube, heated and poked through :



So, some winglet action now.  I bonded medium weight balsa to 3mm liteply.


This was then sanded down both sides to form a semi-symmetrical wing section.  Whether that was the right thing to do or not, I don't know, but I didn't want to remove too much of the liteply as it is what gives this part it's strength : 


Balsa side :

In place on the wing.  You can also see the notch I've taken out of the LE for the wing tip light here :