Monday, 25 September 2017

PSS builds - F104, Rafale, A10

The F104 progressed well through paint and into lacquer this past weekend, so that's all done and ready to fly again, short of a quick check on the C of G.  I'm hoping the small amount of lead in the front can be removed to allow her to be weight neutral after the repairs!

The little Raphael has had some work done on it, as I am waiting a large run of free time to mask then spray the remainder of the A10 parts.  The new tailplane has been top-coated, and the fins and rear flying surfaces have also had a smattering of white enamel, ready for the camo to be re-applied.

Anyway, the Raphael then.  First off, remove the jet pipes.  These just get in the way and add weight that I don't need :

One out..

I can see through now

Both out!
I used the pipes to create balsa blanking plates for the intakes, then glued them in thickened epoxy.  No pictures yet!

Whilst the dremel was still out with a cutting disc, I sliced off the fin spigot from the top of the fus, as that's not needed now either :

I made up a small radio tray, to which I mounted the servos and a switch, then stuck that in again with thickened epoxy :

Here is the new fin, made from balsa - 16g!  The old glassfibre one weighed 55g, so a decent weight saving from the rear of the aircraft.  The fin will be plug-in-able on carbon rods, so some of that weight will come back, but not much.

A small change to the A10 - both engine pods now lined with 1.5mm black ABS for smoother airflow:

So, some spraying in the garage this week as I want the A10 ready for 2 week's time!

No comments:

Post a comment