Tuesday, 8 October 2019

Junkers JU-87D "Stuka" for PSS - a quick build thread

I purchased this through an offer on eBay a while ago, and a good PSSA friend went to pick it up for me, as it was located way up north.





Hmm,  a bit scabby, but may have potential. I started off removing all that steel work for the undercarriage, which saved 2lbs of crap.  I then realised because this was an ex-power model, it's covered in filth, grease and oil.  A good week of meths cleaning got things to a standard where I'd let it into the workshop without stinking the place out.  I honestly have no idea how power fliers put up with it.

It's a Stuka, so we need to keep those wheel spats for part of the outline.  They'll be magnetised on and hopefully clear the wing and flaps upon landing...


Rudder, elevator and two aileron servos were installed (flap servos already in place), and a battery chucked up front.  As ever, noseweight was going to be required, so I built a liteply box that was then filled with lead shot and epoxy, then bolted to the still extant engine mount.


It comes right up to the back of the spinner


Which allows the cowl to be mounted neatly.  The spinner is glued together lightly with cyano, then double-side-taped to the cowl front.  Hopefully should keep it there.



I printed off a receiver and aerial mount, and glued it to the wing.  My thoughts there being that I only have to make 3 connections to the fus, rather than 5 connections from the wing (oh yes, added a bomb drop, forgot that)

Servo-less bomb drop with a 3D printed 250kg bomb :

 Just about 11lbs I think AUW - not too skinny, not too heavy.



All done - back to other projects.


No comments:

Post a comment